Start a new chapter
If an existing chapter is in an inconvenient location for you and there is a substantial number of others in your area who you think would regularly attend a Pub Standards closer to home, we encourage you to start your own chapter.
You will have your own mailing list and area on this web site to promote your meet-ups and existing Pub Standards attendees will do what they can to help along the way. Before we jump to it, though, here are a few things to consider:
- Is there enough people in your area to warrant the special occasion? You, your mate, and her three-legged dog doesn't really fit the mould but if you're in a city with numerous enthusiastic web peoples it just might work.
- Is the appetite both of yourself and the surrounding community big enough to make meet-ups work every month?
- Is there an adequate drinking establishment big enough, friendly enough, and special enough to accommodate the new chapter? It should be chosen carefully; tradition dictates that, barring demolition by a rampaging giant lizard, Pub Standards is always in the same place.
- The traditional dates are pretty immovable. Will people be available on the middle Thursday of the month, or is that when the web designers in your area typically have pedicure appointments?
- Pub Standards isn't big on rules but each chapter will probably want to fit in to the general ethos. It is inclusive, progressive and sometimes intelligent. Beer drinking is advisable but optional, presentations are considered a sin and recruitment agents should generally be greeted with boos, hisses, and rotten eggs. The mailing list and IRC channel (
#pubstandards on irc.freenode.net) could be a good place to get a feel for the vibe.
If all sounds good and groovy, email us. We're often quite friendly.